The marina of Marbella is located between the beaches of El Faro and the beach of Venus, in the area known as La Marina, so called to the entire strip of beach of just one kilometre that stretches from east to west from the mouth of the stream of the Dam.
History of Marbella Marina
At the end of the 18th century, Marbella’s town hall claimed for the first time from the authorities the permission to build a port in La Marina.
On July 8, 1818 the works began, resumed in 1819 after financial difficulties that forced them to stop, the construction work was carried out by prisoners who brought the large stones from the quarry of Guadalpín.
In 1830 the works were suspended, due to financial problems and the great gusts of Levante that affected its creation, this gave rise to the stone quay being unfinished. The quay was reused to build the marina you see today.
In 1957 was created the Club Marítimo de Marbella, a building that is currently located in the heart of the promenade. When it was founded, it had some very primitive facilities and was prolonged forming a dock of shelter, which served for the anchorage of small sport boats.
The facilities were completed until 1976 when a project was presented to create commercial premises around. Throughout these years, the Club Marítimo de Marbella has been a meeting place for competitions and regattas.